October 27, 2013

The Gospel of Judas, 2nd Ed. - by: Kasser, Meyer and Wurst (2006, 2008)

I requested this book out of curiosity. Nothing about it really surprised me. I was glad that it presented different scholarly views and not just Christian or even secular. This allowed me to enjoy my own view, given my own prior knowledge and understanding. As I would expect, the Christian accounts for this lost "Gospel" were biased and used cherry-picked and incomplete historical references to attempt to discredit other scholar's conclusions. Christian "scholars" refer to these tactics so routinely that I strongly feel they should not even call themselves scholars at all; "theologians" would be a much better term.

Clearly, The Gospel of Judas, and other nonconical scriptures from the first few centuries tell us a lot about how Christianity formed as a religion. Christian "scholars" deny they have any merit at all in regard to their religious beliefs. Of course, they must say that, or they'd be forced to admit that what they believe is a human fabrication, and not "devine" at all.

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...