October 13, 2013

Tears of Rage - by: John Walsh and Susan Schindehette (1997)

I got this book as research on John-Walsh types, for a fictional story I'd like to write. This book was difficult for me to read because of the extreme prejudice against "bad men", which only ends up creating the environment necessary to breed "bad behavior". But, that's what the story I want to write would be about; overcoming the fear and ignorance (i.e. "Rage") that leads only to a life of infinite pain and suffering. In my story, the "Rage" of the protagonist is transformed into profound love and understanding when he is compelled to open his heart and mind to one of the "bad men" he has so vehemently condemned because of his own tragic loss. It's not a new story. In fact, it might be the oldest story ever told. But it is a new scenario, and one I like to think would open a few eyes, if not hearts and minds.

P.S. When John Walsh's TV producer contacted me and asked if I would agree to an in person interview with Mr Walsh for a new TV series (called "John Walsh Investigates") I was tempted to accept, if only to look Walsh in the eye and offer him a chance to forgive. But, ultimately I decided that even if a man like him had the strength to forgive in his heart, his circumstances in life would never allow him to admit it. He has an entire production company, not to mention a significant fan base, of people who feed on his "Rage". Very few men in history have ever been able to walk away from that. The illusion of power and control is too great. The promise of sympathy and support is too comforting. And the threat of actually having to embrace his loss (i.e. accepting it without conditions, or "justice") is one Mr. Walsh, according to his own book, is clearly not ready to face.

I sincerely wish I could make Walsh understand the story I hope to write based on his very life; but, as I've tried to emphasize in this blog, you can't MAKE anyone love, or understand anything. You can only love and understand yourself, and have faith in the process, even while others don't (others who think THEY must "fix the world" by some means other than faith).

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...