December 21, 2012

Homecoming - by: Cynthia Voight (1981)

Fiction. The story of four children who are abandoned in a mall parking lot by their mother and learn to fend for themselves as they search out on their own for someplace to call home.

As I read, I kept thinking, no siblings would ever love each other like these four do, not in the real world. But that's just my old "experience" talking. I never saw anything resembling this kind of sibling love in my own childhood, but when I saw it for the first time in adult life, it changed me for ever. It was this kind of love that Shasta had for her brother Dylan (and all of her brothers for that matter) and that caused me to stay my hand when it came time to kill her (note: Dylan loved Shasta as well, but I was not yet ready to accept this truth before I murdered him).

I teared up at the end of this book (even though I tried really hard not to).

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...