April 10, 2014

Biology, Sixth Edition – by: Neil A. Campbell and Jane B. Reece (2002)

   This is a large (over 1300 pages) college Biology textbook. I asked a friend to order it for me since it was one of the texts most frequently referenced as “Essential Reading” along with the DVD Biology course I signed up for (*). The course itself is dated ten years, so I knew this would be an outdated edition (the current edition is on something like nine or ten) and hence VERY affordable (this edition cost less than $15, and that includes shipping, while the newest edition probably costs hundreds of dollars).

   It’s a beautiful book, and already has made the biology course I’m taking dozens of times more interesting (and informative, which for me is practically synonymous with interesting).

   (*) The prison education department provides the DVDs (and DVD player) only, without any accompanying books or other study materials.

Note: This is another book that I have not yet read, though I certainly intend to read most of it. I list it here because it has already become an important part of my life, and I expect it to remain so for some time to come.

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...