August 8, 2014

Man’s Search For Meaning --- by: Viktor E. Frankl (1959, 2006)

This book was a gift from a friend of mine. I’m surprised that I have never read it before now. It is extremely well known and revered, and exactly the kind of book that would have piqued my interest if I had ever picked it up and read the back cover.


It is the memoir of a Jewish psychiatrist who survived several years in various Nazi death camps. He uses his experiences there to illustrate his ideas about the psychological (and/or spiritual) importance of finding a reason to live (i.e. meaning). He also writes some about the psychoanalytical therapy technique based on this principle that he developed and calls “logotherapy”.

I really like the way he thinks, and his ideas are extremely consistent with my own (especially since my “epiphany”, which in a real sense was no more than my own personal realization that all my suffering was for a reason – i.e. I found the exact kind of “meaning” that Frankl writes about in this book). My only real critique is that he doesn’t acknowledge the fact that while everyone has a choice in how they respond to injustice and suffering, not everyone REALIZES that they have a choice; and this realization is NOT a choice, but a kind of gift (in the same sense that good health is a gift).

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...