August 6, 2012

Aztec Autum - by: Gary Jennings (1997)

This is the long awaited sequel to Jennings' first book "Aztec", which I read for the first time as a young man in prison (over 30 years ago). Back then I believed it was an accurate depiction of Central American history. But when I re-read that first Aztec book a few years ago I was shocked at how overtly Westernized the so-called Aztecs were in the story. This second book is even a bigger distortion of reality (i.e. history) than the firs. I guess I should have paid closer attention to the disclaimer inside the front pages: "This is a work of fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously."

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...