July 14, 2012

Pedagogy of the Oppressed - by: Paulo Freire (1970, 1993, 2010 30th anniversary ed.)

I got lucky when I found this book on the inmate bookcart here at FDC Seatac. I had never heard of Freire or this title before, but for some reason the title piqued my interest and I'm really glad now that I found it. I disagree with some of Freire's views on human consciousness as unique in nature, but other wise he is a genius when it comes to describing and defining the oppressor - oppressed contradiction (as he calls it). I've learned a lot from this book about why I felt I needed to do the terrible things I've done in the past. Or, rather, I've learned a new way to talk about it (which is really what this book is all about). It's a book I think should be required reading in all schools.

Magic and Mystery in Tibet - by: Alexandra David-Neel (1932, 2014)

This is one of those rare books that exposes another culture in a way that really opens it up an lets the reader glimpse for themselves what...